Reflection #14

 



  • How has your understanding of mass and school shootings changed over the course of this semester?
    • In this class my understanding of mass shootings has changed greatly. Coming into this class I had a lot of misconceptions about mass shootings and how they happened. Before this class I didn't really know much about Columbine except for the fact that it was a school shooting. I got to know the victims and all of the backstory behind the shooting. I was able to see other peoples views on mass shootings from the blog post of my peers. While watching the videos for the Watch & Reflect I was able to get different views and able to see how things are changing in regards to mass shootings. In this course I was able to see many things and voice my opinions on how I felt regarding mass shootings. This class has taught me a lot and I am really grateful for it because I can now tell other people things and get them informed on the issues pertaining to mass shootings and I can talk about preventative measures. 
  • What is one thing that you learned that you wish the general public knew or was more aware of? Why did you select this lesson?
    • One thing that I learned that the warning signs to look for and the general backstory of what actually happened at Columbine. I chose these lessons because I feel like they are things that people do not know. Most people aren't aware of what to look for in a person who might commit a mass shootings. But the one that really stands out is the story of what actually happened most people don't really know what went down in Columbine and that is evident when I read my other peers blog post. When we got to the lesson that talked about what went on inside of the building many of us did not know that the shooting actually was supposed to be a bombing and the shooting was a back up plan. I didn't know that they treated it like a game as they were shooting people I didn't even know that they had multiple bombs. I wasn't even aware that they had a whole plan that was setting of a bomb that would have most of the police force go to that location to make it hard for them to make it back in time to stop the shooting. 

Comments

  1. Great post. You make some excellent points that I did not know much about Columbine except it was a well-known mass shooting incident. In this course, we learned so much about the victims, survivors, and lives lost, the misconceptions that are behind Columbine and some that are still prominent to this day, and so much more. The Watch and Reflect assignments gave us a different perspective with the videos about mostly Columbine and mass and school shootings in general. You also make a good point that seeing our peers' opinions about this course was also interesting because some have different views about gun control or theories about mass shootings and other characteristics about mass shootings as a whole. You make an excellent point about the warning signs of a potential mass shooting. There are numerous times that leakage has happened, and no one says anything to the police or the administrators is terrifying. When you see something, you should most definitely say something, but I think the problem with this is in school when talking to your peers, they are just going to believe that you are making a joke because they are just teenagers most do not take things seriously. But it is times like when the shooters from Columbine told several people directly or indirectly, and no one did anything. Though times have changed, so even the slightest bit of suspicion to believe that a mass or school shooting is going to happen, the police especially take all tips about potential mass shootings in as if they are the real thing. There was a lot of information that I did not know about Columbine before this class that I do now. There is also a lot of information from mass shootings that I did not know before that I do now and can take it to help others learn about mass shootings. Overall, great post; you have great information and explained everything in great detail. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I like this lesson you chose to educate the general public on. I didn't even think about the fact that a lot of Columbines information is wrong.
    Not many people know it was not a successful shooting, but a failed bombing.
    Too many people think the shooters were trench coat mafia members.
    Too many people think the shooters were loners and bullied.
    The false information regarding Columbine supports a false understanding of mass shootings, which can be harmful in preventing them in the future.
    This is definitely a good lesson to teach others.
    Great thought!. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I definitely had some knowledge of mass shootings before this class, but I didn't actually see how many different aspects to mass shootings there were. With Columbine, I knew about a bit about the event and what happened. But I did not know a lot about the victims and we got to learn about them. Seeing our peers opinions through the blog posts was interesting because some classmates may not have the same opinion, so it is very beneficial to hear both sides. Doing the watch and reflects every week showed us all the different view points of mass shootings and how they affect a lot of people still to this day. Another part of your post that I agree with also is that Columbine should be a story that is better told to this day. We know the backstory about what happened, but some facts regarding it are wrong because of the medias involvement. People to this day still think that the Trench Coat Mafia played a role in it or that they decided on April 20th because it was Hitler's birthday. But not a lot of these facts are true and people heard it from the media in 1999 and it is what they chose to believe. Like you said it was supposed to be a bombing and a shooting, both at once. This was a bit of information I didn't know either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great blog post! I agree that this class has also taught me some very important lessons about mass shootings. I agree that the watch and reflects were an assignment that helped me get a better understanding on the different prevention strategies that have been developed. This has been not only been through prevention programs and the development anonymous reporting services, but also by developing in class shelters. I also agree that a great part of this course was the ability to learn about these new perspectives and then be able to share our own opinions on it with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I am also a part of the people who never knew that Columbine was a "failed bombing." We all know Columbine as the pivotal modern day school shooting, though it never comes up that it was in fact supposed to be a bombing. I'm enthralled to hear you enjoyed these discussions throughout the weeks and months. Excellent post, always enjoyed reading them! Best of luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment