Reflection Post #8

      

    I think that all mass shootings deserve the same level of response no matter what. I do think that people pay more attention to certain shootings due to the fact that some shooting appear in the media than others. Some mass shootings are more talked about and it tends to be the school shootings. School shootings are something that we often see on social media and the news. Mass shootings in general are normally talked about as well it is just that some are often talked about way more than others. I do think that mass shootings are generally more talked about if they are on social media. 

     I think that from the public opinions the one that surprised me the most was the poll where they talk about how parents and other adults blames parenting as a reason behind a mass shooter while the students and children did not really agree with the adults answer. The fact that the teens were way more for the fact that it had to do with societal pressures rather than parents. I do think the thing that I was least surprised by was the fact that people also believe guns are a big problem in relation to mass shootings given that more people have started to speak out about it in recent times. 

Comments

  1. Hi Jasmine! Great Post! I really agree with the ideas of this post, especially how all mass shootings should receive the same amount of attention. I think our media decides which mass shooting will get how much coverage based on, unfortunately, how gruesome the shooting is. It is a twisted concept, but one that has been alive for a while. I had a different poll stick out to me then your pick. However, I did not expect the results of the poll you mentioned as well. Parents are taking the point of view they best understand when contemplating how a school shooting could occur. So, naturally they look at the role of the parents of that individual and place their blame there. Meanwhile, students can understand all of the other factors that can lead to a school shooting because they are living through similar experiences. The difference is they lack any of the violent tendencies shooters have. Again, this was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the mass shootings are displayed on social media is a really good point on how some mass shootings are followed more than others. I think that how the media covers the mass shootings and what information they put out there might be an effect on what mass shootings are be viewed and what mass shootings aren't being followed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that mass shootings should receive the same amount of attention. I also agree that social media plays a roll in the attention school shootings get. I think school shootings garner the most attention because it is innocent children being killed. Everyone remembers being a child and or has a child of their own. No one would want a school shooting to happen at their school where their child is attending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a two fold issue relating to societal pressures as well as some parenting issues. There are instances where a child can come from an abusive family which can, in some cases, bring about negative behaviors later on in life. I think I can say confidently that you are aware that home life does affect social behavior of the child, as you did bring attention to the distinction between the two. Social pressures can be very influential on people, though it does require a little more mixed into the pot before someone goes and fires upon their fellow students.
    Interesting thoughts and a good read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment